top of page

Society & Education: How ILLEGAL Immigrants are allowed to attend public schools With Out documents

With DACA in the news 24/7 questions arise. Understanding the rights of illegal immigrants in the US can be challenging. Who do you believe, why is legalization important and what do we need to do for #Equality across the land.

How illegals can attend schools with out documents:

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Plyler vs. Doe (457 U.S. 202 (1982)) that undocumented children and young adults have the same right to attend public primary and secondary schools as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Like other children, undocumented students are obliged under state law to attend school until they reach a mandated age. As a result of the Plyler ruling, public schools may not:

  • Deny admission to a student during initial enrollment or at any other time on the basis of undocumented status.

  • Treat a student differently to determine residency.

  • Engage in any practices to "chill" the right of access to school.

  • Require students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.

  • Make inquiries of students or parents that may expose their undocumented status.

  • Require social security numbers from all students, as this may expose undocumented status.

Students without social security numbers should be assigned a number generated by the school. Adults without social security numbers who are applying for a free lunch and/or breakfast program on behalf of a student need only indicate on the application that they do not have a social security number.

Changes in the F-1 (Student) Visa Program do not alter the Plyler obligations to undocumented children. These changes apply only to students who apply for a student visa from outside the U.S.

Finally, school personnel -- especially building principals and those involved with student intake activities -- should be aware that they have no legal obligation to enforce U.S. immigration laws. (U.S. Supreme Court, 1982)

What do citizens need to enroll children into schools?

Public schools often require quite a few documents to enroll in the district area school. You may be asked to complete an enrollment application to see which district school your child should be enrolled. You will also be expected to provide proof of your child’s age and identity, proof of residency, immunization records and other medical records, and or a portfolio showcasing your child’s skills. Charter schools will often require all of the above, specifically the portfolio. The most strict schools to enroll in are private school that often require an application, teacher recommendations, a formal placement assessment, and sometimes even an in person interview. As a general rule of thumb, you should have the following commonly required documents ready so you can enroll your child in school:

  • A birth certificate

  • Proof of guardianship and or custody

  • Proof of residency

  • Record of immunizations

  • Common application

  • Emergency contact forms

Enrolling your child in a new school through a transfer enrollment will often require all of the above documents AND/OR the below documents:

  • Former school records

  • IEP records

  • Teacher recommendations

It is important to reach out to the new school you wish to enroll your child in to find out the specific documents required. To get ahead of the game, you can obtain your child’s birth certificate from VitalChek to expedite the enrollment process. Learn more about how you can obtain government certified vital records visit

Applying for College with out being legal:

Here’s an encouraging fact that undocumented students should keep in mind when considering college: No federal law requires proof of citizenship for admission to U.S. colleges. Most institutions set their own admission policies. States that place restrictions on undocumented students, like Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, and Virginia, aren’t doing so to comply with any state or federal law. While it is true that undocumented status limits a student’s choices, it is possible to find a college or university that accepts undocumented students and provides enough funding to make attending feasible. However, students need to do a fair bit of research to determine if a school can accommodate them. Part of this research will involve directly contacting the school and asking questions about the school’s policy on undocumented students and, if it does recognize and accept them, the standard enrollment procedure.

Applying for College as a citizen:

High School Transcript: Most colleges will require a copy of your high school transcript. You can request this be sent to the college(s) you are interested in through your high school's office or your school counselor.

Application Fee: You might have to pay an application fee (anywhere from $20-$75). If you can't afford it, talk to an admissions counselor at the college to which you are applying. You may be able to get the fee waived.

College Admissions Tests: Most four-year colleges or universities require you to submit ACT or SAT scores. If you apply to a school with open enrollment, you may not need to take the ACT or SAT. Make sure you know test dates, times and locations. Talk with your school counselor about how to sign up for the test.

Letters of Recommendation: Four-year colleges or universities often require letters of recommendation. These recommendations are about what you've accomplished, what kind of potential you have, and why the person writing the letter believes you should be admitted to that college. Recommendation can come from your teachers, coaches, mentors, church leaders, employers and people you've worked with in your community. Recommendation cannot come from relatives.

Application Essay: If you plan on attending a four-year college or universities, you may have to write an application essay. This essay is a way to let a college know the real you. If the essay topic isn't provided, you can choose your own topic. If you need help, talk with a school counselor, teacher or parent.

Interview: If the school is very selective with its admissions process, you may have to schedule an interview. The best interview tip is to relax and be yourself.

Are Illegal Immigrants eligible for financial aid:

If I’m not an eligible noncitizen, can I get any type of financial aid to study in the U.S.?

Yes, there may be some scholarships and other aid you can get.

  • Check with your country’s embassy or a consulate here in the U.S. or with the appropriate government office back in your country to see what they offer. 

  • Try the U.S. Department of Labor’s free online scholarship search.

  • Ask the college or career school you plan to attend whether they offer any aid for students like you.

  • Check out the Education USA website.

What type of financial aide do I qualify for as a citizen:

Complete the FAFSA

Once you have a clearer picture of the financial aid available, it is time to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are interested in any form of need-based financial aid, this application is essential to determine your eligibility. Keep in mind that private institutions may have an additional form for you to fill out, so touch base with your prospective schools to inquire about their unique processes.

The FAFSA website is very user-friendly, but the process will go faster if you have the following items ready when filling out your form:

  • Social security number (including your parents’ if you are a dependent student)

  • Driver’s license number, if applicable

  • Federal tax information or returns (including parents’ or spouse’s, if applicable)

  • Records of untaxed income

  • Bank account, investment, and real estate asset information

My opinion:

I have an issue with the amount of information needed when it comes to the Legal Citizen of the US. I have an issue with the government needing All of my information when there are millions of Illegal Undocumented people getting breaks and educational benefits that are not easily accessible to those who were born here, pay taxes and abide by the law.

I have an issue with the amount of deception illegal immigration allows. How does anyone prove who they Really are if they have no ID, or verifiable identity?

I am for All to be educated and advance in life. But when the tables are not weighed the same and one benefits from NOT following Laws, Rules and Regulations, the Change needs to Occur.

I am for Equality, where everyone pays their fair share, where everyone can sign up for the programs they qualify for by providing the required documents.

Some see that illegals are treated poorly, left to fight for themselves... But if you read the above information, it seems that Citizens are:

1.) Required to provide more proof of idenity

2.) Required to provide more information for taxation

3.) Required to provide income verification for programs that are suppose to provide aide when needed

4.) Required to provide immunization records before being allowed to attend public schools

5.) Are treated with less respect and discretion than those who come here illegally or have been brought here in hopes of a better life.

When you fail to follow rules, others are forced to pay the consequences. Nobody is entitled to ANY benefits in life. Life is not about handouts and what you can get from someone else. Life is about working together to lift up each other. But when benefits are not accessible equally, there is NO UNITY!

88 views0 comments


bottom of page